Thursday, December 2, 2010

GAME Plan or Big Game?

This Saturday is the most important Saturday of the year in my house. UCLA hosts USC at the Rose Bowl. I live with three Bruin fans who have season tickets. In preparing my post this week I cannot help thinking about how my goals for my GAME Plan are very similar to a coach preparing a team for a Big game.

•How effective were your actions in helping you meet your goals?
Last week, our team lost even though they led for the first half. I have not had a chance to see if Netsmartz works at school because I have been trying to get Gaggle working again. I feel like the coach who finds himself going to the third string quarterback. How can I expect to get to the next step, when I take two steps backward for each step forward.

•What have you learned so far that you can apply in your instructional practice?
I have learned patience with myself and my students. I have learned to adapt to problems and look for new solutions. After halftime, a coach will change the plays to adapt to the other team's strengths.

•What do you still have to learn? What new questions have arisen?
I need to learn to budget time to review my GAME Plan more often. I need to set small goals and a deadline to keep myself disciplined. I need to practice self-evaluation and monitor myself because if I cannot do this, I cannot teach this to my students. Coaches have set times to view game footage, meet with their team to evaluate the last game, and plan for the next one. My question is-how can I incorporate this GAME Plan into my problem-based unit plan so that I am working smarter not harder?

•How will you adjust your plan to fit your current needs?

Goal #1 Model Digital-Age Work and Learning

Last week, I planned to investigate online assessments. I still need to accomplish this goal so I will add it to this week's plan. This week's resources mentioned spreadsheets as a tool for math as well as science lessons, and I am going to add it to my plan.

Goal#2 Promote and Model Digital Citizenship and Responsibility

I will try to access Netsmartz and begin teaching internet safety to my students. Hopefully, Gaggle will be up and running.

Go Bruins! Beat SC!

Debbie

5 comments:

  1. What a fantastic anaology! Really, it appears what we are experiencing is normal, of course those coaches make more money than we do---

    ReplyDelete
  2. Debbie,

    I agree that making time to review and work towards the GAME plan can be difficult. I am feeling the same way. I have found that, just like with this class, having small goals each week can be beneficial. I also think that it is great to find ways to use your PBL activity in order to also meet the goals that you have for your GAME plan. Have you decided on something for your PBL activity?

    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your analogy of the football game! We have to be willing to change game plans if necessary and it sounds like you are doing a great job. Can you tell me more about Gaggle?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Debbie,
    I love the way you present your GAME plan. Taking time out to evaluate my GAME plan is definitely something that I need to budget into my planning. I am not familiar with Gaggle either and would like to know more.
    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kelly,

    Thanks for your positive comments.

    Elizabeth,

    I finally decided on a geometry unit focusing on the properties of polygons.

    Denise and Robin,

    Gaggle is a safe email for students. It has a message board similar to our discussion board, email, homework dropbox, and you get access to the Gaggle newsletter to see how other teachers are using Gaggle in their classrooms. I am still learning how to use it. I have set up a message board and am training four students at a time. After everyone has posted, I want each student to add a message to another student and then send me an email. In addition, two students have sent emails to each other to see how it works. Here is the link to the home site.

    https://www.gaggle.net/

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete