Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Cognitism in Practice

This week I explored two chapters in the book Using Technology with Classroom Instruction that Works.(Pitler, H., Hubbell, E., Kuhn, M., & Malenoski, K., 2007)to learn about instructional strategies that embed technology. In the first chapter cues, questions and advance organizers are discussed. I already use cues and questions before and during my lessons to help students retain information. I especially liked the advance organizers because they help students focus during the lesson. There are three types of advance organizers, Expository, Narrative, and Graphic. All three can be produced using word processing programs. "Expository advance organizers include brochures, definitions, rubrics, and programs. Narrative advance organizers are usually stories, articles, or artistic works. Graphic advance organizers are usually tables, charts, or artistic works. (Pitler, H., Hubbell, E., Kuhn, M., & Malenoski, K., 2007, p. 75.)
These materials can be used to introduce a unit to front-load the vocabulary and main concepts. This will help both low and EL students. Spreadsheets can be used to organize information or create rubrics. Software, such as Kidspiration and Inspiration can be used to create concept maps to provide a visualization of the concept which helps deepen the understanding. Multimedia can be used to extend expository, narrative, and graphic organizers. My school district has purchased United Streaming and I began using it this year to introduce math concepts. My students were engaged watching the video and I could refer back to the video during the lesson. I found the ideas in this chapter to be beneficial and I plan to utilize them next year in my classroom.

The second chapter was about summarizing and note taking. My third graders do not take many notes during the year but summarizing is a skill they need to learn in order to write research reports. Microsoft Word can be used to teach summarizing by using the Track Changes feature. This would be an excellent lesson I could demonstrate to my students with my lap top and projector. Summary frames can be developed using Inspiration software to teach note taking. Summary frames are useful because they allow students to visualize the information in a chart. Visual images or pictures can be added to increase comprehension. Teachers can create combination note power point presentations to show students how to organize information for a specific unit. The slide links important concepts on one side with the multimedia images on the other side. They are connected by a summarizing statement at the bottom. Students today need to be able to work collaboratively. There are many web resources available such as NoteStar and ThinkTank. Both sites allow groups to work together and are organized with frames and questions to assist students. Wikis and blogs are communication software that allows students to work together as a group to complete one project. Both allow users to work from different locations.

Overall, I found the resources and ideas from these chapters to be phenomenal. Many times, I get an idea but find it hard to incorporate easily into my classroom. The ideas presented in this book augment what I am already doing. I look forward to incorporating them into my lessons. I plan to create concept maps and advance organizers for language arts for next year. Our current textbook is outdated and does not contain all of the standards. I can take the standards and use these cognitive tools to develop better lessons for my students.
References

Pitler, H., Hubbell, E., Kuhn, M., & Malenoski, K. (2007). Using technology with classroom instruction that works. Alexandria, VA: ASCD. om

5 comments:

  1. Mrs. Rosa,
    I was overwhelmed by the ideas found in this week's readings as well. I look forward to discovering more about spreadsheets. I feel that I would be able to use these more readily in my high school math classes. I did enjoy reading about the various note taking formats. Earlier this year, our whole school was involved in workshops to encourage the use of more diverse formats of notes and presentation of material. We have also purchased video service through a program called Learn360. I hope to use more of these cognitive tools next year as well.
    Rhonda Y.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rosa:
    I took a class through my district last summer where United Streaming was incorporated in with Power Points.It has many great features to use with virtual tours and concept maps. There are videos available for tons of topics in all areas of the curriculum. Thanks for reminding of this site. I think you have to pat for it though. My district is subscribed so I have access to the site with their password.
    Linda Valuikas

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mrs. Rosa,

    Our school had subscribed to United Streaming in my first few years of teaching. I loved using the site to find videos to introduce new concepts, especially in science. I could also refer back to particular clips that explained things well. As I became more familiar with the videos, I created organizers for the students to fill out as they took in the new information. Unfortunately, our school unsubscribed a few months ago. They are supposed to be getting a similar resource for next year, but I am not sure what it is called. I look forward to seeing what the new resource has to offer.

    Kara

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rhonda, Linda, and Kara,

    Virtual tours, concept maps, spreadsheets for note taking and more! The resources this week contain many ideas that are easily incorporated into our classrooms whether we teach elentary or high school. It looks like we are all on the right track!

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mrs. Rosa,
    I feel like we are on the right track, but with everything that I am learning in technology from this class and the others, I feel like I need to take a year sabatical just to rewrite and incorporate technology into my curriculum. I am getting a new smart board next year and it will be enough just trying to learn how to use it. I know in the end it will be worth it, but a teacher's work is never done.

    ReplyDelete