Monday, April 5, 2010

From Fractions to Bird Blogs!

Tonight I went looking for fraction flag templates to use with my students and our buddies on Friday. I have the book, Math Art Projects and Activities, by Carolyn Ford Brunetto and published by Scholastic. It has a great activity to draw fraction flags. Since we are working with our 2nd and 3rd grade LH buddies and I do not know whether they have a clear concept of fractions, I thought I would look for templates to print out for students to color instead of using rulers and drawing them. We only meet for thirty minutes so we have a time constraint as well.
During my search, I discovered many interactive fraction sites, flags of the world sites, math worksheet sites, but sadly no fraction flag templates. On Education World I discovered a great site for teachers. The site has links to lesson planning, professional development, administration, tech integration, early childhood, school issues, and lifestyle/marketplace. I searched for the fraction flags templates and found a lesson plan called, This Bird Can Blog. The lesson plan is about teaching a class to write blog posts for a classroom pet or school mascot. I thought this idea went with the class pet activity from Chapter 4, Creating Positive Peer Relationships from Comprehension Classroom Management by Vern and Louise Jones. The students write a classroom blog from the point of view of the class pet. This lesson incorporates language arts standards with 21st century skills in a fun activity. I cannot wait to try this in my classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment