Saturday, February 6, 2010

The Teacher and the Big Bad Firewalls

This has been a long week and my learning curve went up anyway. My school district has a tight firewall surrounding our internet usage. Blogspot, Podcast Machine, Podbean, and Audacity are all blocked. The school laptop I used to record my students would not open the files at home either. But, I persevered and was able to complete my assignments despite them. This week we discussed the differences between the digital natives and digital immigrants and their mind sets towards technology. I have a new name for my school district - digital caveman. A digital caveman does not understand that today's students are digital and are connected globally. We need to tap into that interest and develop the skills they need for the 21st century.

No comments:

Post a Comment