Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Blogging Third Graders

Is room 16 ready to blog?

I am not sure if the school district firewall will let my class blog. That notwithstanding I see many uses for blogs in my classroom. We have started a new daily journal for the new year and it will be difficult to respond to each student individually on a daily basis. A blog will allow other students to post comments besides myself. Kathy Martin in the video "Spotlight on Technology: Blogging in bthe Classroom" was impressed that her students wanted to make sure their posts were proofed before posting. I work with advanced students and have to help them use spell/grammar check on their writing assignments at the beginning of the year, but as the year progresses they get better. I like the idea that blogs will help my students become better writers. As much as I like the idea of a daily journal blog, I think the best way for us to begin blogging is to use a classroom blog to post research reports. Each student will post their report to the classsroom blog. Afterwards, I will have them choose two posts to make "Aha" comments. I always encourage my students to find a fact that I might not know, an "Aha" for Mrs. Rosa. The student would post their "Aha" comment and ask a follow-up question of something else they wish to know. The students would then need to find the answers to the two new questions and post again. Since I have not done this before, I ask again - Is room 16 ready to blog?

6 comments:

  1. Deborah,

    I think the biggest challenge you will face, in setting up your classroom blog, is getting the technology department to give you and/or your students the ability to use it at school. The good news is, is that this is probably not that major of a problem, because your district probably would be thrilled to have a teacher using 21st century technology with her students.

    Currently, my students have to publish from a work station (computer) that I am logged in to; otherwise it is a no go. My district allows my students to access our class blog page, but will not let them through to the Blogger sign in page. However, they are trying to resolve this issue, because they know the capabilities of the blog.

    It sounds like you are right on track for geting your blog up and running! Good luck.

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like your idea of having students put their writings and reports on a blog. I think that this is a great way for students to learn from their peers. I also like your idea of having the students then add "Aha" comments. Would you be having them do this posting and blogging at school? If not, it may be difficult since some students do not have a computer or the internet at home. Time can also be a challenge if you are doing it at school. There are always so many things that need to get done in a day, and adding new things can be a challenge. I do believe though, that if you know something is important and beneficial for your students, you will be able to make sure it is done! :) Good luck in your blogging classroom adventure!

    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, I really like the idea of third graders blogging. I feel you have really good ideas with the Aha comments. The only thing you might want to watch is if the students start to copy each other reports from year to year or class to class. Does your class switch with another? Could they do a blog between the two so your students in class cannot talk to each other as easily and discuss their question in person?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also teach third grade and have similar questions about getting my students ready for blogging. The biggest challenge that I face, and you may too, is access to technology. I would love it if all my students could access our class blog at home, but the reality is that many do not have computers and/or email access at home. We do have computers in the classroom but their are only 6 and we are required that students spend a required amount of time per week using educational programs that the school has purchased for data gathering and skill building purposes.

    Still I am up for the challenge of fitting in blogging time for a lot of activities. I know that it will require a lot of modeling in the beginning, as well as a lot of monitoring and giving feedback to ensure that my students stay on task.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with you that seeing their work will encourage students to write--publishing IS the final step. The only thing I'm questioning is the length of the research reports they did? Is it a lot for students to get through? Just thinking of time restraints, so if they are long reports, maybe just post part of it for others to respond to.

    I love the "aha" comments and I do think if you go in to daily journaling it is a great idea to have others comment so you don't have to get to them all every day. Hope it all goes well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for all of the wonderful suggestions. I would keep the length of the reports to 1-2 paragraphs. I do team teach with the class next door for Science and Social Studies and I like the idea of my students answering posts from next door. We have about 12 computers we can access in the lab outside my classroom.

    ReplyDelete